Sunday, October 28, 2012

Barley Brussels sprout salad

Barley is good for people who are diabetics  or has been diagnosed as pre- diabetes because this is high in fiber. Since I am pre -diabetic I try to use barley in many different ways so this is a holiday season I came up with barley  roasted pumpkin and Brussels sprout  salad which is healthy and also good for waist size.I like this salad because it fills me up and then I do not munch all the time.

Ingredients

1/2 cup roasted brussel sprout
1/2 cup roasted pumpkin or butternut squash
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onions
1/2 cup cooked barley
1/4 cup green bell pepper
1/4 cup red bell pepper
3 cloves of roasted garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt to taste

Method
1.Cook barley according to the package direction, or 1/2 cup barley then used 1 cup water, when it comes to a boil lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
2.Add in roasted vegetables ,cooked barley in a bowl,and green onions as well.
3. Squeeze out roasted garlic from it packet and mix it in olive oil. Add in lemon juice,salt and black pepper and red chilli flakes.Mix it well and then add it to the vegetable and barley  and toss it together.
4.Serve it as a side to any BBQ or just eat it for lunch or dinner.

Note: to roast vegetables , cut it the veggies  the same size place it on a baking sheet ,sprinkle it with salt and pepper and oil.Roast it until veggies becomes tender.
I like to eat  this salad for my lunch because it is light and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment